Bookcases are a great way to organize, display, and just decorate a space in general. We have a couple of bookcases in our living area that stay next to the entertainment system. Since technically they are a focal point of the room, I thought adding some design to them would brighten the room. Plus the all black look of the bookcases was just plain boring. I originally thought of using wallpaper to create an accent to the bookcase but one search on amazon and I found a much cheaper, easier option: self-adhesive shelf liner. Not only is it cheap, but it is very easy to peel on and off so you can change your mind, fix any air bubbles, or switch up the look as you please. Not to mention that a two pack was only $8!
Self-adhesive shelf liner
1. Remove all the shelves and hooks (using a pair of pliers) from the interior of the bookcase. (This is also a good time to clean off all the accumulated dust from from your shelves!)
(This is the bookshelf "before" picture.)
(Here it is with all its content removed. The middle shelf couldn't be removed so I had to measure around it.)
2. Measure the length and width back interior wall of the bookshelf.
3. Measure and cut the shelf liner to the dimensions of the back interior wall.
(Another great thing about the shelf liner is that the back has gridlines. I tried to match up the length/width with the closest gridline)
4. IMPORTANT! Peel about 2 inches of the edge of the shelf liner and align it to the top edge. Once secured, peel the rest of the shelf liner off the paper from behind, pulling downwards (this will make it much easer to lay the liner on the shelf versus just peeling it all off at once and trying to stick it on there)
5. Attach the rest of the shelf liner by smoothing it all the way down to the bottom. (you can lift and reapply certain parts of air bubbles get in)
6. Reattach the shelfs and voila!
(Our kitty Indigo seemed to like the new bookshelf too!)
The chevron pattern turned out to be perfect and complimented the gold and turquoise display items. The Mr & Mrs sign is a DIY I made for my wedding in August for the sweetheart table that I converted into home decor. Now I just have to sneak in some pink accents while my husband isn't looking, hehe.
Until next time. <3