So now that I've started this blog, I've started to accumulate quite a bit of fabrics and craft supplies which are overflowing the under bed storage I have been using. So I started thinking about what other *creative* ways I can beautifully (or at least neatly) store my supplies. I bought the black ottoman pictured above from Target many, many years ago and pretty much threw it into the closet since it started to look dingy and was ridden with cat hair (I'm sure all cat lovers can relate). But alas, I figured I would give it new life by using some pretty pink fabric I had in my collection. It also should be noted that all apartment dwellers should take full advantage of ottomans anywhere you possibly can. Not only do they add to the decor, but you can easily store quite a bit in them in small spaces.
1yd of Fabric
1. Measure the length and width of one side of the ottoman.
2. Measure the width of the edge of the ottoman.
3. Cut the cut fabric by combining the measurements of steps 1 and 2 to make sure there is enough fabric to cover the edges.
4. Iron the fabric for a more finished look on the ottoman.
3. Staple one edge of the fabric to the bottom of the ottoman.
4. Staple the other edge of the fabric to the top inner edge of the ottoman. Make sure to the hold the fabric tight.
5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 for all four sides.
5. For each edge of the ottoman, fold the fabric inwards and glue the edges together to give it a sewn in look.
6. Measure and cut a square for the lid of the ottoman.
7. Center the lid on the piece of fabric and cut a slit in all four corners.
8. Staple each side of the fabric onto the bottom of the lid.
9. For the corners, tuck in one edge and staple it. Then fold over the other side and staple it onto the bottom of the lid.
I loved the shade of pink of this fabric and the geometric shapes. I only spent $8 dollars for a yard of fabric, which made that dirty and dingy looking ottoman transform on a seriously low budget. This is also a good idea if you do find some of these Target squares on sale but don't like the color.
Until next time. <3