Monday, January 19, 2015

How to Paint Furniture White


When I moved into my first apartment, I headed over to Ikea and bought all the basic black furniture I could find. Three years later, and I realize how much I hate black furniture. While its nice to have for certain pieces in the apartment, all black just makes the apartment look smaller. So I decided that instead of buying all new furniture, I would turn my new love for white furniture into a diy. Not only do you save a TON of money by painting your own furniture, you can also customize it by adding decorative knobs. After some research, I found that painting your own furniture is also fairly easy.

Painter's Tape
Paint roller & replacement covers
Paint Tray
Small Paintbrushes
Primer
White Furniture Paint
Clear Finish


The paint trio that gave me the most success was:
1. Zinsser Bulls Eye Primer
2. Rust-oleum Painter's Touch in Semi-Gloss White
3. Rust-oleum Painter's Touch in Gloss Clear



The great thing about the Zinsser primer was that I didn't need to sand my furniture at all. For apartment dwellers, this is key since we don't have much room or outside space. As you can see, my dresser didn't have a ton of scratches but if there are deeper scratches, wood glue can be used to even out the surface. 


1. Clean every surface of your old dresser and remove all dresser knobs. 
2. Remove the drawers from the dresser and line any areas that should not be painted along the edge with painters tape. 


3. Prime the drawers first with the paint roller. Then prime the dresser. Use the small paint brush for corners and hard to reach areas.


4. Apply 2-3 coats of white furniture paint after the primer drys allowing approximately an hour between coats.
5. Seal your dresser with one coat of glossy finish. 
6. Add your decorative hardware once the dresser has dried for a full 24 hours. 

I used the Liberty DoubleBeaded Cabinet Hardware Knob that can be found here.


I'm really happy with how the dresser turned out! I've decided to paint more pieces in the apartment to give the apartment a fresher look. I literally saved $100's by painting my furniture instead of buying new items. 

Until next time. <3


14 comments:

  1. I have been wanting to paint my furniture white , thanks for sharing this tip!

    Candice | Beauty Candy Loves
    ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely share your before and after when you try it! Thanks for stopping by Candice :)

      Delete
  2. Oh really?? It so nice ;) Artist.
    Kisses from Spain.
    Xoxo, P.

    My Showroom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wanted to do something like this, but I feel the materials I would need would be way too much. However, I may need to check again. Perhaps I could try just once. Great post!

    If you would like to follow each other via Bloglovin or any social media, let me know! Would love to stay in touch!

    Abigail | Cheers to Now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks abigail! Let me see your before and after if you do decide to do it :)

      I would love to stay in touch as well! I will follow you on bloglovin, etc.

      Delete
  4. White makes everything look pristine. I love how it turned out! Thanks for sharing. (: x
    trulyyourskyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I love how the white furniture brightens up the room. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Isn't it funny the way our tastes change? Great step-by-step post. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete